In our industry safety is an issue that should always be on a pool technician’s mind. We actually devote an entire chapter in our CPO classes on safety.
I was paging through AQUA magazine and read this article about a service rep that was killed by an exploding sand filter in a backyard pool. My immediate thought was “How bizarre. What’s the chance of that?” … Well, a little time spent scrolling around the web told me otherwise; this kind of accident is not as infrequent as I initially thought.
The most deaths in all types of pools in the US are from drowning. On average, 11 persons PER DAY suffer this fate; this is horrendous and unacceptable. Much is being done by community centers, swim clubs and swim schools to address this awful statistic.
However, there are many other dangers lurking in a commercial pool environment than drowning. With the assumption that all pools are to code on the VGBA; I have listed a number of other potential dangers here:
- Chemical storage – many chemicals should not be stored in close proximity to each other.
- Improperly sealed chemical containers
- Misuse of chemicals. Some of the biggest problems have resulted from mixing the wrong chemicals.
- Indoor water quality and chloramines can have negative long-term health benefits.
- Not having the correct Safety and Rescue equipment available
- Slippery decks, tripping obstacles on the deck
- Improper or nonuse of personal safety gear
- Gas leaks from pool heaters
- Electrical shocks from old pool lights and lack of proper grounding and bonding
While the list seems long and daunting, a well-structured, implemented, and practiced safety plan can ensure that none of the above ever darkens your facilities door.
If you would like to read the AQUA Magazine article, I have pasted it here.